Saturday, March 16, 2013

Thank You Mr. Buskirk

And who is this Mr. Buskirk, you might ask?  Why, I haven't the faintest clue.  But I want to thank him anyway, for passing on the finest little 26" D-8 crosscut saw that I own.  Mr. Buskirk's name is inscribed on both the handle and the blade.  Given the care and attention he gave this saw, I am honored to have his name on it, and I won't remove it if I ever get around to refinishing the handle.



It has 8 points per inch, and it's likely been cleaned up and resharpened a time or two.  It starts a little slow, but once in the kerf it picks up speed nicely and cuts faster than my other saws.  It probably has a little more aggressive set than my other similar saws, and it might need a little touch-up sharpening on the toe teeth.



The medallion dates it to the 1896 - 1917 time frame, according to the The Disstonian Institute.  This saw is approximately a century old, but it handles and cuts better than any saw you can buy at a hardware store or lumber yard.



I have been cutting up some Douglas Fir for shop shelving and cabinets.  I took my D-42 out to Lumber King when I picked up the wood, as I needed to cut down the 12' 2x10s to 6' so they would fit in my 4Runner.  I love my wartime era Disston saws, but when I got back to the shop I quickly switched to the D-8.  Here's the D-42 in action, but it is a lighter saw and I didn't use it long.  I don't have a proper saw bench, so I just use bench hooks and clamps and cut it on my benchtop.  I put a long thin scrap of wood under the saw blade to keep it from dinging my benchtop when the cut finishes.




1 comment:

  1. I could not agree with you more Kevin. I have acquired and rehabed a number of handsaws. And my Disston D-8 skewback with 8 ppi is my absolute favorite for breaking down stock. It does the job quickly and smoothly.

    ReplyDelete