Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Fun Little Project

With emphasis on "Little".  This is the LV inset plane, a wee bitty little feller.  Bocote, 11/16" x 1 7/8" x 4 1/2".  It was a fun afternoon with spokeshave and rasp, and I needed the spokeshave practice.  Might turn this little bugger into a chamfer plane, I need one.





Nov 10, 2012:

Thought I would add a few notes on making this plane.  The LV online instructions are pretty thorough, but reinforcement doesn't hurt.  Here are the steps I took.
  1. Choose your wood and square and flatten it on all sides.
  2. Drill the holes for the mortise.
  3. Shape the wood however you like.  I used the shape suggested by LV, just hand-drawing and eyeballing everything.
  4. At that point I fit the plane into the mortise, and let it set on my desk for a week.  Just to see if I changed my mind about the shape.  You can also put a finish on it at this point if you wish.  Mine is just waxed, because bocote is oily.
  5. When you are ready to permanently fix the inset plane in the mortise, coat all exterior surfaces of the wood in paste wax.  This will prevent the epoxy from sticking to the wood.  I don't care how careful you are, that epoxy will get on everything, trust me.  Use the wax on every surface except the inside of the mortise, of course.
  6. Coat the bottom of the inset plane with paste wax.  Yep, the epoxy will stick here if you don't use wax.
  7. Lay down a sheet of plastic wrap on a flat surface.  I used a granite plate.  Make sure there aren't any wrinkles in the plastic wrap under the plane.  Apply epoxy to the outside of the inset plane, lay the wood down on the plastic, insert the epoxy-coated plane in the mortise.  This is the part where the epoxy goes places you don't want it to.  Tape the plane/wood body down to the granite plate, making sure every surface is flat on the granite plate.
  8. Let it sit overnight.  The epoxy will settle, and some will likely run out and set up on the bottom of the plane.  You want to keep this to a minimum by having it on a flat surface and taping it down tightly.
  9. Scrape the epoxy off the areas where it doesn't belong.  It comes off easy if you waxed properly.
  10. Use mineral spirits to clean off the excess wax.  It will have dried overnight and won't buff up very well.  Let dry.
  11. Re-wax, and buff to a nice shine.

Here's a picture after I applied the epoxy and taped it down.


No comments:

Post a Comment