Monday, April 16, 2012

When It's Time to Stop....

.....I should stop, already.  This is one of those "Do as I say, not as I do" stories, in case you can't tell.  I was working on the carcass for the brace storage cabinet.  The joinery is hand-cut dovetails; I like doing them, and I need all the practice I can get.  Here's a rough mock-up.  Of course it will have a shelf to hang the braces from, and some drawers at the bottom.



Things were going pretty well - I'd been working in the shop most of the day, and I was just finishing up the last set of tails.  The 9mm japanese chisel used for paring is really sharp.  I'm was doing it two-handed, but just for a moment I switch to one-handed.  Without thinking, the unused hand was placed in harms way.  A second later, the chisel slips and was immediately buried in my thumb to the bone.  Ouch.  Really, I said OUCH, not anything else.  Luckily there's not much meat between the skin and the bone where it went in, and no tendons.  A good washing, peroxide ( then I said other things, not ouch ), polysporin and a bandaid.  Good as new.

Good enough, I thought, to go finish that last set of tails and pins.  Saw saw.  Chop chop.  Hunky-dory.  Until I chiseled off one of the pins, didn't even notice, and kept going.  It took me several minutes to figure out why that gaping hole was there.  But it was really clean, neat chisel work, I told myself as I shook my head in disgust.

When it's time to stop......stop already.  You know when it is.  


No comments:

Post a Comment