Saturday, March 31, 2012

Low Sawhorses

Occasionally I have the need to lift a project, tool, or large item just a few inches above the floor or benchtop.  Low sawhorses similar to those used by Japanese carpenters are just the ticket.  Very simple to make and a great little hand tool project.  I would have preferred hardwood, but I had some Douglas Fir scraps left over from my bench project.  After a little bit of sawing,



and a little bit of planing, I had my stock square and ready to go.  You can make these whatever size you want.  These are basically 2" x 4" about 2' long.  The feet are about 8" long.



Simple half-lap joints are used to join the feet to the beams.  These joints are 3/4" deep.  I also used a 3/8" dowel about 2" long to reinforce the joint when I glued them together.  I also dressed up the feet a little, adding some curves and chamfers.



Then it's glue-up time.  The feet are located about 2" from the ends of the beams.  You just need to make sure everything stays square during the glue-up, so that your sawhorses don't wobble after the clamps come off.  If they do, just use a block plane on the bottom of the feet to level everything out.



Wipe on a coat of oil or your finish of choice, and they are ready for use around your shop.  If you are going to be using them for sawing and are concerned about scarring the top of the beams, you can use double stick woodturners tape to glue on a half inch strip of sacrificial wood on the top.  





No comments:

Post a Comment